Bellefonte ARTMuseum for
Families of Centre County
History of the Bellefonte Museum
The Bellefonte Museum for Centre County is located in the historic John Blair Linn House on Bellefonte’s Allegheny Street. The house, built in 1810 of Trenton Limestone, is listed in the National American Buildings Survey and on the National Historic Registry. The historic home was the residence to many individuals and families who contributed to the growth of the town of Bellefonte, Centre County, and Pennsylvania.
Bellefonte, a town of 6000 located in Centre County, was the home to seven Pennsylvania Governors. The town leaders have worked to prevent demolition of historic structures and consequently the entire town has the feel of a Victorian time. The town lies where it does because of an enormous spring from which flows about 13 million gallons of water a day. A beautiful stream runs through the city park at the base of the hill where the historic county courthouse is located. William Lamb started the town around 1785.
The historic Linn House was converted to a museum facility over ten years ago. Recent plans to expand the museum include increasing the exhibition space, adding “Discovery Rooms” for children, a museum store, and a tearoom.